Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Fun fact of the day

Ok, atleast I think it's a fun fact. I'm sure most of you don't really care.

Last weekend I had a clinic to go to at an arena that I've been to before. I have always taken the main interstate down there before, but this time, when I googled directions to it, the map suggested I go a different route from my house. It was about 30 miles shorter and would save quite a bit of time. Anything that was going to let me sleep in a little longer was worth a try!

Besides, I hadn't ever taken the highway we live close to all the way to the end so I was curious what it was like. I'd heard it is a beautiful drive and had been wanting to check it out. The drive certainly did not disappoint, though I was really wishing I had a fun little sports car instead of a lifted truck. It was very curvy-twisty-turny and would have been a blast in a quick little car.

Not that I speed or anything. Of course I'm a law abiding citizen every minute I'm behind the wheel. Yep, that's me.

Anyways, where was I. Oh...so the drive was great. I got there right on time, even after leaving my house late. I had planned to allow some extra time, just in case I got lost or something. I've never been known for my great sense of direction. The clinic went great, I got out earlier then expected and headed back home. That is when I noticed the fun fact of the day.

I did not pass one single fast food restaurant. I drove over an hour each way and did not see one single McDonalds, Burger King, Jack In The Box, Wendy's...nothing. I don't think I even passed a Subway!

Unfortunately, the reason I noticed this was because I was starving and had avoided the long line at the bathroom before I left the arena. I figured I'd just stop at a fast food joint for a potty break and some fries and enjoy the drive home. No such luck.

Thinking back, I don't think I hit a single actual red, yellow and green traffic light the whole way either. There were the flashing red and yellow warning lights at intersections, but no real traffic lights.

Did I mention I drove over an hour each way?

Seriously, how many people can say they drove over an hour from their house and didn't pass one single fast food joint or hit one single traffic light? I suppose for a lot of rural America it's not such a huge thing but in western Washington it just seemed weird.

That is all. Now you can continue on with your day content in the knowledge that you know someone that can drive over an hour and not see any fast food restaurants or traffic lights. I'm glad I could bring you that peace. Carry on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your funny!!!! I bet the bathroom was a welcome sight when you got home. Awesome on the no light & fast food...out in the boonies, eh? That's my girl! Hugs, Mom

Anonymous said...

Sounds like my kind of drive! Isn't it nice to live close enough to civilization not to go crazy, but far enough out that you can still get away from it all? ;)

Amers425 said...

Are you talking about the back way to Salkum?? There is in fact a subway inside of a gas station. LOL! I know only because I have been starving and in need of a restroom every time we have gone there. :-)