Friday, April 17, 2009

Poor Chey!

So remember those bees I posted about last? Well, Chey has been intrigued by them. She loves to chase bugs and I have seen her thinking about going after the bees a time or two. She seemed to be smart and know not to bother them though. She would sniff them and then generally leave them alone.




I guess her curiosity ended up getting the best of her. I went out to feed the horses last night and noticed she was just laying in front of the barn instead of "helping" like she usually does. She kept licking her nose and upper lip and just looked a little off. She kept looking at me like she was in trouble or something. When I finally walked over to her she rolled over on her back and started licking her nose, which is when I noticed that it was all swollen. She looked like she was in pain and I felt horrible, but I also had to laugh because I had a feeling it was coming!




I decided to just keep an eye on her to make sure it didn't swell any more. The vet's office was still open for another hour or more so I had time to rush her in if it got worse. The next time I checked on her it had swelled a bunch more but it absolutely did not look like it was bothering her one bit. She was running around, being her usual nutty self. I let her inside and tried to take pictures of it, but most of them turned out like this...





She would move at the last second and I'd just get a blur. She really could not sit still long enough for me to get a picture in focus!



Finally, she rolled over and I changed the setting to the action shot and got this...




Besides Chey looking totally psycho, you can see how it's all swollen and red around her nose. It was so puffy that it swelled up off of her front teeth so when her mouth was closed (which wasn't often) you could still see her top teeth. It was hilarious! In a tragic sort of way.


Of course with me being allergic to bees and totally paranoid I had to keep a close eye on her. She finally calmed down enough to fall asleep and I was watching her breathe, making sure her windpipes weren't closing up or anything. Other then swelling, I don't know what a doggie allergic reaction would look like! When she started dreaming and breathing funny and twitching I about had heart failure.

She woke up and looked at me like I was crazy.

Can't imagine why.

The swelling went down pretty quickly and she looked pretty much back to normal by the time we went to bed.

Hopefully she learned her lesson to leave those bees alone, but I'm not counting on it.

One more reason to get those suckers gone.

3 comments:

Paint Girl said...

Poor Chey! That looks like it would hurt! I have never been stung by a bee so I don't know what it feels like, I think my old German Shepherd I had use to get stung in the mouth all the time but she would stand outside a bees nest and eat them!

Jessica said...

Awww...poor little Chey! She wasn't gonna let a pesky ol' bee sting keep her down though! My mom has honey bee hives (on purpose) ;) and her dog Spice always goes over and plays with them. Every once in awhile she gets stung...the looks doggies give you when they've been stung are so priceless. Like "mommy, I don't feeeel good." Poor little gal!

Sparkle said...

Silly animals, they all have to do it at least once! Didymus got his this weekend too, right on the ol shnoze.